History of the Yacht Inn
THE YACHT IN DAYS GONE BY....
The South Esplanade, to the south of the main town and port of St Peter Port was, historically, where trading took place and the majority of the local accommodation was located.
As you can see from the adjacent drawing our location was directly opposite the tidal beach used by the ship building community of the island, to construct, launch and land sea going trade vessels.
The building is believed to have been constructed in the mid-19th century. The first reference to the building can be found in the drawing above. It is also defended in the photograph adjacent which shows the west wall of the Albert dock under construction.
During this period Guernsey began to reclaim swathes of land along the seafront in order to increase its’ commercial facilities in the area where the bus terms now stands.
Records also show that The Yacht Inn was known as The Star Hotel at this time. The first reference to a public house on the site is of The Star, made in the formal list of Public Houses in 1903 with Mr Osmond Charles Mordaunt as the proprietor.
No mention is mad in the 1845 Island Census, however, the white facade is clearly visible in the photograph giving a good indication of its age.
At some point The Star Hotel changed its name to The Royal Yacht Hotel, however, this is not believed to have taken place until approximately 1930, as a hotel of the same name was already in existence, which, did not close until 1928. It was in the main town and is now occupied by Boots The Chemist.
Unfortunately, records from this period are extremely scarce, but local rumour claims it remained a hotel and was forced to house German soldiers throughout the occupation of the island during World War II, between 1940 and 1945.